Under general supervision, supervise staff assigned to the care and husbandry of
zoo animals of different taxonomic groups.
- Oversee the animal husbandry for all sections in the park (feeding,
exhibitry, sheltering and handling)
- Directing and aiding keepers in husbandry, care, refinement,
development, positive conditioning training, environmental enrichment
and feeding of zoo animals.
- Monitor animals for illness, injury or unusual behavior and take
appropriate action as well as assist with veterinary care.
- Help and direct others in the capture, restraint and transport of animals
for veterinary staff to administer treatments.
- Ensure proper maintenance of animal exhibit and off-exhibit areas.
- Routinely inspect animal enclosures, service areas and facilities for
cleanliness, sanitation and structural defects.
- Coordinate and follow up repairs directly with maintenance.
- Ensure that keeper talks and feeding time are done as per scheduled.
- Support sections in carrying through with their annual action plan and
the breeding programs as assigned by the curator.
- Attend meetings and make recommendations to management for
modifications and improvement in staff assignments and animal care.
- Provide staff training on animal handling, capture, restraint, testing and
medication administration to maintain animal health and well being.
Qualifications Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Zoology, Zoo Management or equivalent of five (5)
years of supervisory experience.
Experience At least five (5) years of zoo animal care experience, including two (2) years
Proficiency in the use of computer operating systems; Animal handling and
restraint techniques; written and oral communication; research and the
Zoological Information Management System (ZIMS) software.
Ultimate Human Resource Solutions